Re: ICOM 821 out of band mod

-----Original Message-----
From: Assi Friedman <assib@mainex1.asu.edu>
To: AmsatBB (E-mail) <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Date: Saturday, October 23, 1999 7:28 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] ICOM 821 out of band mod

>Hi,
>Does anyone have info on the IC821 out of band mods ?
>Icom's web page specifies you can receive 136-174MHz.
>does the mod enable transmit on the entire band ?
>Any affect on the UHF module ?
>assi

Assuming it is the same mod as the IC-820, it involves the removal of two
diodes on the logic board. (D25 and D26 on the 820). This will give extended
receive on VHF 136-174 and UHF 420-460. There is a caveat: "These
frequencies are not guaranteed for accuracy or sensitivity" There is no
mention of being able to transmit outside of the amateur bands. I, for one,
hope it is not possible.

Bob Hart, WA7HRA
Hoodsport, WA