Re: Chimney Mounting for sat antennas?

Hi Scott:

Chimney mounting of antennas is not recommended. For
starters, chimneys are designed to carry a large
vertical load. They do not do well with lateral forces
applied (read wind blowing on an antenna array). A
secondary point is that the usual gasses that come up
the chimney are rather corrosive and will deteriorate
most anything mounted above them in a short time.

Best bet would be to use the tripod and skip the
chimney. Another alternative is to install a large
piece of pipe alongside the house and bracket it to
the house. I use this method to mount my 10' TVRO dish
and the roof makes a great work platform when
maintenance is necessary. In the long run you will
save yourself a lot of time, money and aggravation -
chimneys and antennas are bad news.

73

Denny  WB8K

=====