Further AO-10 Observations On Perigee Passes

I have been causally timing the QSB during perigee passes and note a
semi-consistant pattern of about a 14 minute cycle:  8 minutes of discernible
audio going from "barely there," through the "warble" stage, on up to about
S5 signals, and then back down again.  The progression appears fairly linear,
but I took no quantitative readings.  The 5-to-6 minute fade is, as reported
by the ops in the UK, complete--absolutely nothing heard from the transponder
for this period, although I could discern the beacon even in the deepest part
of the fade.

This behavior is important to note, because if you listen for AO-10 and don't
hear anything, it may just be a fade.  Wait a few minutes and keep trying the
transponder.  When the signals pop up, talk fast :-))

The perigee pass tonight over the southern US and all of S.A. is 0002 - 0026
UTC.
73,
Jerry, K5OE