Re: Coax

Steve, Robert,
The decision to put the preamp(s) at the antenna is always the right one.
Even a mediocre preamp will improve the system noise figure if there is more
than 1 or 2 dB loss in the feedline.

Your comments about using less expensive (and higher loss) coax after the
preamp is sensible, but only for a single-mode station.  If you run only mode
J (V/U), then you could put even something like RG-8X after the 70 cm preamp
with an insignificant difference at the receiver.  If you use the same
antennas to work mode B (U/V), however, then the losses on the cheaper coax
are unacceptable for the 70 cm uplink.  This same scenario applies to the 2 m
side as well, only the losses may be slightly more tolerable.  I recommend
you put up the best coax you can afford and is practical for the
installation.

I ran 9913F (Cablexperts) to my antennas, but if I had to do it over again, I
would run hard-line with only a jumper section of 9913F around the rotor.  I
was lucky enough to win 25 m of Aircom Plus at the AMSAT convention (thanks
SSB) and plan to use it for my P3D antenna run.  It's specs are in-between
hard-line and 9913, but appears to be able to take a standard N connector.
The connectors for hard-line will cost you about as much as a used car :-))
73,
Jerry, K5OE