Re: Cross Yagis with Folded Dipoles again

Ib, gang

> I have received a few comments on that. So far I have
> only heard from one who uses the Tonna 2x19 element
> 70 cm antenna.
> I would very much like to hear from the ones of you
> who use that antenna - and your results of course.

10-15 years ago I put up Tonna antennas when I first built my satellite
station. They never worked very well.

I heard that Tonnas are designed for the (european) SSB part of the band
(432) and so they are less good in the satellite band (435). The thin
elements mean that they have less bandwidth than other makes which have
elements made from aluminium rod. I heard that there was a modification and
wrote to Tonna asking for it; I never received an answer. When I took the
Tonnas down, after about five years, some parts were rusty too.

After a few years I put up J-Beam antennas (for 2m and 70cm) and they are
definitely better. But I think J-Beam (British company) doesn't make
amateur antennas any more.

My advice: take the tonnas down and sell them to a SSB ham while they still
look nice. Buy something else; several of the US antennas are now available
in europe.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org