S0-35/AO-27, An Idea

I have recently had the opportunity to listen to the SO-35 passes over the
US, including last weekends passes.   What struck me is the number of hams
that initiated a call while another ham was either engaged in a QSO or
attempting a contact.   It appeared to be a free for all, with those hams
with either the highest power or excellent use of a HT with an Arrow (or
similar) antenna being able to work stations via the bird.

The fact that using the lowest amount of power necessary to make the
communications is an FCC rule is either ignored or not understood by some
hams.  Nothing that I say in this note will dissuade those who want to belt
out the highest power through the highest gain antenna from changing their
operating style.

I find that the newer and inexperienced users using HT's or mobiles didn't
seem to stand a chance of making a contact, because their signals were
overridden by high power opts   I have a possible solution, based on an idea
used with MIR.   Perhaps certain orbits within the monthly schedule can be
set aside for new users who have not made contacts on the bird and also
other orbits can be set aside for HT operations only.    To start with,
perhaps even a single orbital pass each month for SO-35 and several orbital
passes per month for AO-27 can be set aside for first time users and a
similar number of obits designated for HT users.

Experienced SAT operators should welcome such a proposal because it will
allow new users to get the hang of satellite ops and increase the ranks of
potential contacts.

73's

Steve Handler, N9KRW