Re: AO27 (again)

 Well, I suppose that when I get around to putting up my EME array, I could
always fire it up, with the legal limit amplifier and be "guaranteed" to work the
satellites... Or I could do this in the Spirit of Amateur Radio, and obey Part 97
of the FCC rules, the part about using only the minimum amount of power necessary
to make the contact. Those with the attitude of "get a bigger amp or you lose",
are the reason why we have restrictions and rules. It's like some of us can't
behave, and need  to be policed. Kind of reminds me of a bunch of kids in a
school yard pushing and shoving over nothing. (And as far as someone who stated
that it's not that hard to get 3KW ERP, well that's not very much ERP at all, not
when you get "serious" about the antenna system...)

 Come on guys, do the operating techniques really NEED to be written down? If so,
start with Part 97. As a former OO for the ARRL, I can tell you that one of the
main things that starts trouble on the airwaves is abuse of power. I believe that
CB'ers have a bad rap for stepping on each other with high power amplifiers, now
do we, as Amateur Radio Operators really want to be classified like them? Can't
we at least try to behave, I mean is it really that hard?

 I can just see it now... One of these days there will be a teacher somewhere
showing their students how neat that Amateur Radio and the satellites are, and
when they go to get on one, they will not only get stepped on, and not make a
contact, but they'll probably get cussed out and chased off for good, much like
some of the things that I've heard on 80 meters. The FCC is having to step in and
work on those problems there, now do we really need that on satellite operation?
Boy, what a mature and respectable image that will be...

 73, Clinton Herbert AB7RG

 "The antenna is far more important than the amount of power that is put to it."
-- C. Herbert

 "I deal in reason, therefore I dwell in poverty." -- C. Herbert