P3D Launch Announcement

SPECIAL NEWS RELEASE FROM AMSAT NEWS SERVICE

SB SAT @ AMSAT $ANS-281.01
PHASE 3-D TO BE LAUNCHED ABOARD AN ARIANE 5

AMSAT NEWS SERVICE BULLETIN 281.01 FROM AMSAT HQ
SILVER SPRING, MD, OCTOBER 08, 1999
TO ALL RADIO AMATEURS
BID: $ANS-281.01

MARBURG, GERMANY (October 8, 1999) AMSAT's most ambitious
project to date... the International Phase 3-D communications satellite...
has now been accepted for launch aboard an Arianespace Ariane 5
launch vehicle.

Dr. Karl Meinzer, DJ4ZC, AMSAT-Germany's President and Phase
3-D Project Leader released the following statement:

"As the primary agency responsible for securing a launch opportunity
for Phase 3-D, I am pleased to announce that AMSAT-Germany and
Arianespace have now come to an agreement calling for the launch
of P3-D as a secondary payload aboard the "first suitable" Ariane 5 flight.

Dr. Meinzer went on to comment that, "From the very beginning of the
Phase 3-D project, we considered the Ariane 5 series our primary launch
vehicle. Our long history of success and mutual cooperation with both the
European Space Agency (ESA) and Arianespace, coupled with our need
to lift P3-D into a high geostationary transfer orbit, made the Ariane 5 the
unanimous choice by AMSAT."

Following standard protocol, specific details of the launch agreement were
not released.

AMSAT-NA President Keith Baker, KB1SF, was elated with the latest
news. "I'm very pleased to see that AMSAT-DL's negotiations with
Arianespace have resulted in a launch contract for Phase 3-D, and I'm
delighted we are again slated to fly on an Ariane vehicle," he said.
"Following the resounding success of Ariane flight 503, the Ariane 5
has now proven itself to be a very capable launcher. When coupled
with our many past successes with ESA and Ariane, I believe we now
have an unbeatable combination. Once it is in orbit, the Phase 3-D
satellite will not only help us usher in the new Millennium, it will also
signal the dawn of a brand new era for Amateur Radio," he concluded.

While both AMSAT presidents expressed optimism for an early launch
of the satellite, Dr. Meinzer expressed caution that the wait for the "first
suitable" flight could still turn out to be a long one. "While the launch
of Phase 3-D could come as early as the first half of the year 2000, we
must remember that Ariane's launch manifests are continually being
updated to accommodate market changes as well as the availability
of other payloads. Thus, one or more changes to P3-D's anticipated
launch date, along with its specific Ariane 5 mission number, are a very
real possibility before our satellite actually flies," he said.

Nevertheless, based on its new 'standby' launch status, Phase 3-D is
slated to be delivered to the Guiana Space Center in Kourou, French
Guiana later this month so as to be ready for quick integration once
Arianespace identifies a specific Ariane 5 launch vehicle for P3-D's ride
to orbit.

While its primary focus is on improved worldwide satellite communications,
the Phase 3-D satellite will also have a very positive influence on the
very future of Amateur Radio. Built primarily from donated resources, the
International Phase 3-D team includes participating AMSAT groups from
Austria, Great Britain, Japan, Canada, Finland, Russia, Belgium,
the Czech Republic, Slovenia, France, New Zealand and Hungary - in
addition to the groups from AMSAT-Germany and AMSAT-North America.

AMSAT is very proud of its long tradition of excellence and the
contributions it has made to the advancement of space communications,
space education and the space sciences. Phase 3-D will be Amateur
Radio's premier vehicle to continue the quest for new communications
technologies for generations yet unborn.

[ANS thanks AMSAT President's Dr. Karl Meinzer, DJ4ZC and
Keith Baker, KB1SF, and congratulates the entire Phase 3-D team
on this exciting announcement]

 --Dan James NN0DJ--
   ANS Bulletin Editor

 --Dan James--
Marvin Windows & Doors
          1-800-346-5044
Tours & Training            extension 1271
Technicial Publications  extension 1469