Quick AO-27 answers [was: New to satellite operations]

			... I have 145.845/.850/.855 for uplink and
   436.7750/.7875/.8000/.8125/.8250 for the down link?

Your downlink frequencies are a little widely spaced, so you'll get some
fades (or noisy periods), especially when the bird is overhead, which is
not very long, but you should be able to do something.  5 kHz spacing is
what most people use.  Uplink is fine, folks are asked not to compensate
for doppler on the uplink, as AO-27 receiver is wideband enough and very
sensitive.  If you can hear it, you can work it.  By far, the crucial
thing to remember is not to transmit until you can at least partially copy
callsigns.  The 'Arrow' antenna is best, but not necessary, and a pre-amp
or a directional gain antenna are fine.  (Terrestrial omni gain antennas
won't work except on low elevation passes; not recommended for beginners).
For details, on operation, see:

    http://qsl.net/kd6pag/AO-27/working-it.html

I'm looking for VW, so i'd really like to work you.  I've worked as far as
Maine with a handheld antenna (heard even on 1W), and work Florida fairly
often.  So i may even be able to get into your valley from California on
AO-27.  SO-35 will only on at selected times because its trasmitter has
only one power setting and continuous operation is not possible due to
power constraints, even if voice were its primary mission (which it is
not).  You should be able to hear it as well if it's on, but it is VERY
crowded, so try instead one of the earlier AO-27 passes in your area to
get started.  AO-27 is every day, and there are ALWAYS people on.  There
are also a few new bird going up in a week or two that should not have the
daylight-only restriction.

Bob Bruninga WB4APR <bruninga@nadn.navy.mil> would be the best to answer
the APRS question, but the answer going to be one or more of the PACSAT's
which have AFSK uplinks and [B]PSK downlinks.  I saw AO16, LO19, and IO26
listed at one point, but i'm not sure how current that is. You won't be
able to hear them, but you could (carefully) uplink to them and look for
results via the Internet.  I haven't tried it myself yet, but it should be
do-able with 'soundmodem' under LINUX and i'll a link to the source code
when i've gotten at least one of the directions working.

73's, good luck, and additional questions are welcome.

			    -- KD6PAG