Re: MARS Climate Observer -- Failure Mode

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Andy MacAllister wrote:

> A few balloon launches back we noticed that the balloon GPS data
> said the payload was at 20,000 feet an hour after launch.  It was
> SUPPOSED to be at 60K+ feet.
>
> You guessed it.  The GPS was putting out altitude in meters,

Andy, Tom,
   In my copy of the NMEA spec, it was unclear if it was always in feet or
if the field was optional.  There is a field for "units", but in the spec,
it appeard to only mention FEET.  What is your read on this...?

I guess the above example proves the converse...

thank, de WB4APR, BOb