Re: NEW KENWOOD HT

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Manfred Bucher wrote:

> I read about a new Kenwood HT for PACSATīs here at this bulletin-board.

You are thinking about the Kenwood THD7 HT which has been out for almost a
year.  It has built in 9600 and 1200 baud TNC's and with a modest 3
element UHF beam can receive the downlink from any of the 9600 baud
pacsats just fine.  BUT it cannot transmit crossband TNC.  So it can only
be used as a PACSAT monitor only.

BUT... the new Kenwood *Mobile* radio (not yet officially announced, but
revealed at the Digital COmmunication Conference) also has built in 9600
and 1200 baud TNC's and WILL work the packsats since the internal TNC in
this 50 watt mobile radio WILL work crossband full duplex. (I dont know if
the Radio RF will be immune to the 3rd harmonic of the uplink, though).

I will be bringing an alpha-test model of this radio to the AMSAT-NA
meeting this weekend in San DIego for show and tell...  This is only a
sneak-preview.  NO model number exists, and it will not be in production
until December in the USA and a few months later for overseas...
Do NOT ask your kenwood dealer, since he has not yet received the
information package...

de WB4APR, Bob