RE: MARS Climate Observer -- Failure Mode

At 12:59 PM 10/01/1999 -0000, apbiddle@att.net wrote:
>It boggles the mind that at the end of the 20th century any technical work
>is done in the English system.  Well, guess that is what you get from
>shopping at Kmart.  Er make that LockMart.

The loss of the Mars Orbiter is just a modern version of the story of the
Tower of Babel.  As long as we have different ways of expressing things and
attempt to build towers that reach the heavens (whether figuratively or
literally), this sort of thing is bound to happen now and then.

To update the old high-school math problem...

If Train A leaves Los Angeles at 9:00 am traveling at 60 miles per hour,
and Train B leaves Salt Lake City at 6:30 am travelling 75 kilometers per
hour, where do they meet?  And what is their approach velocity relative to
each other, in  furlongs per fortnight?    :-)

73 from KD7MW  (kilo delta seven metric wrench?)

--- Peter