Re: MARS Climate Observer -- Failure Mode

David Cowdin wrote:

> In case all you bubbas don't realize it, that particular group
> (Lockheed-Martin Astronautics Flight Systems) has been working with JPL for
> many, many years.  Also, they have been working intensely since the launch
> of the MCO for the last 9 months! I mean severely intensely they have been
> working together.  Now you would think that someone at JPL would figure out
> that we still work in English units.

Actually, I would expect the world leaders in space exploration to use SI...

> Why haven't all you bubbas figured out
> why Congress has not mandated that the United States of America will use
> metric and make its usage the law of the land.  Congress considers itself to
> be such a brilliant bunch of bubbas and bubbets.  We use metric because the
> Department of Defense, who has been our traditional customer from the
> beginning of time, has never, never mandated us to use metric.

What?  You're not making sense.  Now you're using metric, but you dont?

> I work on a
> classified satellite program right now and no one has ever told us -- from
> the head bubba at the customer shop to the lowest end bureaucrat -- to
> switch to metric.  I look at drawings every day that use ft/lbs/inches, and
> mass properties that are in slug-ft^2.  As a spacecraft attitude control
> engineer I only know angular momentum in ft-lb-sec and not in a bunch of
> goofus, doofus metric units.

Must make your calculations loads of fun.  After all, there's no thought put
into metric.  Any moron who's made it through high school physics could tell you
the advantages.

> JPL was responsible for all the guidance,
> navigation, and control and they sent the commands! They are the ones that
> screwed the pooch on this one.  But just you wait, JPL will try to figure
> out how it was our fault! That is the JPL way!

Stick to your 78.74" HT...

Ryan Broooks