Equalizing filters for modems

Hey,

A question about equalizing filters for packet operation.

I am building a ground station to communicate with a future digital
satellite, Citizen Explorer. To test my station, I am trying to
establish data transfer to another PC/modem/tranceiver across the
room.

I've had mediocre results, and I've found that the channel frequency
response is not flat like the Spirit-2 TNC manual advices, but rather
a low pass flavor.

I'm wondering if using equalizing filters would be recommended or not
in this case?

Any advice to a green ham would be appreciated!

			  Eric Darnel
	    Electrical Engineering Graduate Student
		 University of Alaska, Fairbanks
		  Duckering Building, Room 147