Re: Who's on FO-29 JD? [was: FO-29 Digitalker]

John,

Tovar wrote:

> What percentage of JD users are operating live and how many are operating
> automated, where files/messages are exchanged while the user is asleep?

Remember that FO29 is in a near polar orbit, and when it passes over you
in darkness, in a few minutes it will pass over another part of the
world where people are awake and could be working the satellite.

I don't know that there is a "culture" on FO29 digital any more.
Lately, it has not been in digital  mode long enough for operators to
develop a routine.

I'm not speaking from any control operator position, but bit errors kept
the control operators from toggling the bird for a long while, and it
was left in analog mode.  Finally, they were able to reload the
software, and control the bird.  I think they still have trouble at
times, and regularly the scheduled mode change is missed by an orbit,
and at times a day.  There were recent plans to change the digital voice
loop, but apparently those attempts failed.

When the bird WAS in digital mode, monitoring leads me to believe the
bird is little utilized.  I have only heard a handful of calls EVER.

> Does anyone know if the satellite is capable of operating in a mode at
> night than during the day?  (That is, can it switch modes each pass when
> it goes over the polar regions?)

Yes and no.  The satellite has to be controlled (toggled) by a ground
station operator.  Since response is not always reliable, such a plan
would not be, in my opinion, prudent.  Again, if you change modes
favoring NA, you slight operators on the other side of the world.

> What seems like it might be a waste to me is digitalker operation in the
> middle of the night, when very few people would be listening.

If you aren't awake to hear the digitalker when it passes over your QTH
John, in a few minutes, users in Central Asia, or New Zealand might be
listening.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

--
                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )