Re: [sarex] FO-29 Digitalker

Jim,

"Walls, Jim R" wrote:
> Is it just me or does it seem to be a waste of a perfectly good satellite to
> have FO-29 spending most of it's time in digitalker mode?  According to the
> latest ANS news, here is the schedule for FO-29 for the next few weeks:

To the seasoned satellite operator, the digitalker is not very
exciting.  Once you've worked FO20, or RS13, there just isn't much
thrill in listening to a digital loop.  The digitalker is not meant for
you or me.

Imagine a 15 year old kid with a scanner.  She reads about an amateur
satellite she can easily hear with her scanner.  She spends a few hours
exploring our world, downloading a tracking program and keps.  She makes
her plans.  At the appointed minute, she heads outside with her little
brother, and begins waving the antenna around to acquire the bird.
Success, there is FO29, and she has just heard her first radio
transmission directly from space.

Believe me when I tell you that similar experiences are unfolding
WHENEVER FO29 is in digitalker mode.  Since creating and distributing a
FAQ on the digitalker, I have received email from all over the world.
Usually the sender is a young person, who has just had their first
amateur satellite experience.  Inevitably, they crave more and ask great
questions.

I sincerely believe that getting information on the FO29 digitalker into
the right hands can only help our hobby.  We will gain more
participants, and a little catalyst like this could encourage a
potential operator into taking the plunge.

I am going to ask you for a favor.  Promise me you will search out at
least one kid who might be interested in space science.  Program the
digitalker frequency into your HT and let them listen.  Please share
your experience with the rest of us by telling us what happens and the
child's reaction.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL
                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )