Re: RE: [aprssig] RE: AO16/LO19 Uplink w ANY PC!

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 schoon@amgt.com wrote:
>
> > Well, OK on the downlink!
>
> Bob had said:
>
> > >Yes, uplink is trivial.  THats all we need for most APRS...
> > >Downlink is not easy.  Takes a PSK modem and SSB receiver...
>
> But of course, a $89 UHF downconverter and an old 10m SSB rig would make a
> great portable AO16/LO19 downlink..

Yeah, if you can figure out how to Doppler tune the beast during the pass,
or else figure that a lot of the downlinked data is going to be corrupted.
Remember, most of the software that is out there on the market that does
rig tuning thinks it's going to see something nice and shiny-new, with
a computer post of some sort to talk to, so either you manual tune,
or get really familiar with C or whatever language your tracker/tuner
was written up in......

Later,
Andy
WD9IYT