Re: FIBERGLASS CROSS-BOOMS

     Hi all,
        Yes Irrigation Automation Inc. is still there. The owner isn't a
     ham or anything, but thinks our hobby is neat!. I've talked to him a
     couple of times and bought a solid 1 1/2 in fiberglass boom from him
     a long time ago. In fact I'm the one who originally put his address on
     the web. He just likes to help out.
        As for the solid fiberglass booms, I think the limit for UPS
     shipping is 8 foot and the booms should be handled with gloves because
     they could use a good coat of something to seal them with.
           The price is good and they do stand up. (a 6 ft 1 1/2" probably
     weighs in at about 25lbs or so)
          I'm not affiliated with the retailer of this product, In fact they
     were never intended for amateur radio use but they shure work well.
          For Field Day this year I put my antenna system with one of these
     cross booms, mounted to my old KR500 rotor, and a HD73 rotor mounted on
     a 3ft Radio Shack tripod mounted to a sheet of plywood in the back of my
     truck.  I drove to the field day site, moved the KR500 up the mast a little
     bit and ran the coax and control leads into the operating site. I set the
     rotor controls to north and 0 degrees, adjusted the rotors to the same and
     fired it up. Took a whole 5 minutes to set up and was making contacts
     immediately. I'd do it more often except that the boom for the cushcraft
     2 meter antenna doesn't like the bounce and shows a slight bow where it
     mounts to the mast. (too long for the antenna boom strength)
                        73, Mike KA7HBB