Re: FT-736R power supply

-----Original Message-----
From: JC_Smith@designlink.com <JC_Smith@designlink.com>
To: w4sm@cstone.net <w4sm@cstone.net>
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Date: Thursday, September 16, 1999 8:13 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] FT-736R power supply

>==== snip ====
>A lot of the Yaesu internal power supplies in FT-736's seem to go bad after
>a few years.  I believe this topic may have been covered here before, but
>is there a usual failure point for these?  Trouble shooting tips, etc.??
>==== snip ====
>
>Stacey,
>
>If you get any knowledgable replys would you please pass them on?  It has
>definately been covered before, but all I recall hearing were the problems,
not
>the specific causes or solutions (other that to power from another source,
>which I do).

The issue is apparently a heat problem in which one or more components can
lose a solder joint.  In some of the later models of the transceiver, Yaesu
raised some resistors higher off the PC board to relieve this problem.
However, as a precaution, KD2JF and I installed 80486-type 12V brushless IC
cooling fans on the power supply.  The power supply has a perforated sheet
metal cover to which we bolted the fans.  The air flow should prevent the
excessive heating that could otherwise result from stagnant air in the
supply.

Ken Ernandes
n2wwd@amsat.org
http://www.mindspring.com/~n2wwd