Re: Fiberglass pole question

Hello Al,

I would scrap it and get the M2, fiberglass/metal crossboom.
The 11' long boom gives you better separation for adding more antennas
and is 2.0" OD.

If you persist in using the KLM boom consider the following:
	add a 1.0" fiberglass dowel inside the boom, at the area where the
	the elevation rotator will be clamped,

	add additional 6" x 1.0" OD solid fiberglass dowels to both ends
where the
	antenna booms will be clamped. I epoxied mine in place...

	paint the entire fiberglass boom to prevent sun deterioration of the
fiberglass.

	use stair tread traction pads where ever the boom is clamped for
additional
	traction or grip between the antenna/elevation boom clamps and the
fiberglass 	boom. Cut the larger traction pads to size.

	The 1.0" OD solid dowel and traction pads are (were) available from
KLM.

I have seen a number of installations where the dowels were not used,
and the clamps were overtorqued, crushing the 1.5" fiberglass. Once
the fiberglas tube is crushed you will never be able to  get a good
grip on the boom, until it is doweled....

A poor second choice (IMHO) would be a 1.0" wood dowel.

Stan, WA1ECF
AMSAT-LM