Re: 70 cm Mast mount Preamp

Pat;
I, too, recommend the SSB units.  Have used home-brewed jobs, which work
well, but the relay co$t can really get you.  The SSBs have helical
filters in them, to cut down on the out of band junk; criticl at 2m,
becoming that way at 70cm.  They also have adjustable gain, which means
you can set it up to your system, and not  have TOO MUCH gain in your
system.  Yes, it's possible . .. .

One gotcha:  I have 2 friends with them that have run into a problem
with excessive transmit loss with the preamp switched on and using
RF-sensed bypass.  I suspect bad relay contacts due to "hot" switching.
I switch my preamps with the transmitter PTT line, not RF, and have not
had the problem.  In a mostly receive only mode for mode J birds, you
should be OK.  Good Luck!!

73, Jim
wb4gcs@amsat.org