Re: "Batton down the shuttles"

Keith -

All four shuttles are at the Kennedy Space Center (KSC) in Cape Canaveral.
The shuttle Atlantis is in the center's massive Vertical Assembly Building,
which is reported to be able to withstand winds of up to 125 mph. The
shuttles Columbia, Discovery, and Endeavor are in the Orbiter Processing
Facilities (hangers), which can withstand winds up to 105 mph.

The assemblies for the International Space Station are in the Space Station
Processing Facility, a building that can withstand winds up to 110 mph.

NASA spokesman George Diller, has said that "it's possible" the buildings
could take a direct hit from Hurricane Floyd that would exceed their
capacity to withstand the winds. However, it remains unclear whether the
hurricane will take a path that exposes Cape Canaveral to a direct hit.

Diller is a member of the "ride-out team" that will remain at the space
center until late Tuesday.
----------------------------
Meanwhile space.com has reported that
the Cape Canaveral Air Station is being evacuated -----

By Kenneth Silber
Staff Writer, space.com

Sep 13 1999 17:21:33 ET
All personnel are evacuating the Cape Canaveral Air Station as Hurricane
Floyd bears down on Florida's Atlantic coast.

Air Force Staff Sergeant Joel Langton, reached by telephone late Monday
afternoon, described himself as "one of the last people out." His tone was
calm but brisk.

Cape Canaveral is an Air Force facility that conducts unpiloted rocket
launches. The Air Station is adjacent to the Kennedy Space Center, where
NASA's space shuttles are housed.

Four rockets, with an estimated total value of some $680 million, are
stranded on launch pads at the Air Station. Mobile service towers have been
placed over the rockets to protect them. The towers can withstand winds of
up to 120 mph.
The rockets on the launch pads are two Atlas rockets, one Delta 2, and a
Titan 4B.
[ One of these Atlas rockets has the new Echostar "DISH" satellite .. this
launch was delayed last week after a lightning strike on the launch pad  ]

Hurricane Floyd, which is currently near the Bahamas, has included winds
faster than 150 mph (strong category 4,  greater than 155 is a category 5 )

G. Beat
W9GB