Re: FT-736 CAT pinout needed

   Not to confuse things, but I have an erratum sheet from Yaesu which states:

   "The CAT DIN Jack pinout shown on page 13
   is incorrect.  Pin 2 should be shown as S IN
   (serial input), pin 3 should be shown as BUSY
   (TTL squelch state), and pin 4 should be shown
   as S OUT (serial output).  Please note that the
   jack wiring in the schematic diagram is correct,
   and need not be changed."  (exact wording)

   This is all fine and good, but that's exactly the way my pinout on page 13
   is shown.

Likewise.  Here's what the manual i have describes, and which works with
the hardware i'm using:

               13.8V

     BUSY  3 O   6   O 1  GND

    (N.C.) 5 O       O 4  S OUT
                  2  S IN

            [Solder Side]

Don't forget this is TTL, and you'll need something like a MAX232 (or
equivalent) to talk to a standard RS-232 serial connection.  (You might
be able to cheat with a Macintosh.)  And again, BUSY is the state of
squelch and is not CTS, alas.

           They sent me the erratum in response to my letter telling them
   that the description of the data in/out jack (paragraph 8 on page 14)
   is incorrect...        (they have "tip" and "ring" reversed in their
   description).

   The picture that acompanies the above paragraph, however, is correct.

Agreed.  I also have an Yaesu FT-5100 and assumed that they would not have
inconsistent wiring.  It still caused me a bit of confusion until i got that
figured out (as neither manual was perfectly clear).

The FT-5100 takes a resistor to ground for PTT and the FT-736 has a separate
PTT line.  So i used an NPN transistor off of the RTS line to assert PTT,
with a 2.5mm phone jack for connection to the FT-736, with the resistor on
the normally closed pin of the jack, so the audio part of the interface
would work for both rigs.  (I had already homebrewed a computer control
from a Macintosh to the FT-5100.)

   I suspect that there are numerous "revisions" of the manual out there,
   and perhaps even different variations of the hardware.  I had to figure
   mine out by trial and error.  That (and a couple of other problems) was
   a hassle, but now that it's done, I love the radio.

Yep.  It wasn't difficult for me, someone who used maintain one-of-a-kind
computer equipment, to figure out.  But i can imagine it has cause lots of
confusion for many people.

Now, to continute to sort out the usual doppler confusions...

                            -- KD6PAG  (Networking Old-Timer, "RF newbie")