Monochannel Sat's Was: Re: SUNSAT RX REPORT

G&N wrote:

> I call it the 'linker' mode.
> The principle is very simple :
> Every station makes only one QSO, after what the correspondant takes on
> the channel for one QSO and so on.
> E.G.:
> F1HDD makes the first call, F6AGR answers -> QSO,
> Then F6AGR calls, F6BVP answers -> QSO,
> F6BVP calls, ON1RG answers -> QSO,
> etc....
>
> More polite isn't it ?

No doubt! But what kind of ham radio is this???

Last year, an english friend spent a couple days at my place.
To impress her I joined a HF pile up, to work a rare one.
I did it, but she wasn't impressed. In fact, it was the oposit.
She said that was similar to "train spoting" in England!
Well, although I don't agree with her, that comment made me think
about the subject...

It's obviously that, during contest's and working rare stations on HF,
due the high demand, there is no choice. The contacts must be as short
as possible. Even so, callsign, report and something else is exchanged.

Using LEO sat's, I understand the qso's also need to be fast, but even
so callsign, report, grid and something else is exchanged.

This new "monochannel sat's" are a parodoxal case: what was the main
purpose (an easy aproach for begginers) can be completly misused (by
"alligators"). And the solution seems to be education...
I agree, but even that isn't enough, mainly due the high number of
stations on uplink. So, a reduction of qso lenght is needed...
IMHO that will not be enough either! And, again IMHO that pratice
reduces a amateur satelite contact to a "joke", worst than "train
spoting".
Also is a very risky method, whose practice depend ONLY on operators.
Maybe that will work on certain parts of the world (EUA, Japan),
but I'm sure it will not over Europe! MIR PMS was a good (bad)
example...

So, what's the solution??? I don't know!
But I would prefer some complementary "hardware solution" that
could reduce the chances of a sucessfull uplink. Something like a
"URSTRC" (uplink rx squelch trigged by a random DTMF/CTCSS tone).
This way, any station (HT or OSCAR station) had the same chances
of sucess! 38 possible tones (max) would act as 38 possible uplink
freq's, reducing the jamming. It was only luck!!

But qso rate per pass would drop! Right! But what do you prefer:
quantity or quality???

Just a humble sat operator opinion, who would like to listen other
points of view!

73 F.Costa, CT1EAT