Re: friends vs gridsquares

I agree with you Tom.
 AO-27 is not a ragchewing satellite; but short fellowship exchanges
is one of the main aspects of ham radio. LIKE: "hows the new rig?" , heath
questions "when is the operation" "is the wife still in the hospital" ect.
and yes,even the weather.
I'm not a old timer to satellites, but in Nov of 1992 I got on AO-21. I
didn't know anyone who worked satellites at that time. The fellows on AO-21
let me in to say Hi and as time passed we got to know each other and became
friends (the key - got to know).  We met at AMSAT Symposiums (Coordinated
 over AO-21). We are still making  new friends on AO-27.
I have nothing aginst grid square, states or county hunting; but only
pointing out that fellowship exchanges are also a part of satellite ham
radio.
I've been a ham since 1948 and think Satellite operation is one of the most
exciting modes.
Theres room for all the satellite insterest if a little patiance and
courtesy is shown.

Bill

73'S  BILL  W0OQC  DERBY, KS
E-MAIL    w0oqc@gte.net