[aprssig] Re: 145.900 is not just used by pacsats! (fwd)

I agree, we must be very careful not to QRM other birds.  The Palm Pilot
is an excellnt handheld tracker software to help.

BUt we had a version of APRSdos back 4 years ago that included
Satelite perediction.  My feeling here is that if we do make a go of AO16
and LO19 and others, that the technology to control our emmissions to only
when in view is easy to do.  I even worked on a design to to it in a PIC
for the MIC-E...

For example, ONE packet every hour or so can distribute Keplarian elements
to every APRS PC on the channel.  Since you only need keps within a week
or so, then a mobile traveling across coutntry could be assured to alwyas
have an up to date element set.  Thus his station always knows where the
satelites are and when to use them with NO operator intervention...

But it is chicken/egg syndrome.  We have to see if people want and will
use the satelites this way...  Then the practical software will follow.

Thanks for considering these important issues...

de WB4APR, Bob

 On
Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Randolph Kohlwey wrote:

> For those running mobile APRS on 145.900 for the pacsats
> please note that 145.900 is also the downlink for AO-10
> where ground stations are listening to week SSB DX signals.
> They may get upset if you beacon often with high power when you
> are near them.
>
> It also is on the edge of FO-20 and FO-29 analog transponders,
> which may give you up to another 12 passes a day. These passes
> are longer than the pacsats!
>
> Personally I do not feel good about beaconing blindly knowing about
> these other satellites. With a omni directional uplink you do run a
> chance of getting into the FO birds.
>
> 73, Randy N7SFI
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to aprssig as: bruninga@nadn.navy.mil

APRSdos REPLY/COMMENT:

Reply mail addr:   wb4apr@amsat.org
US mail address:   115 old Farm Ct, Glen Burnie, MD 21060
See DAYTON97 HISTORY:    http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/dayton.html
See Maryland APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html
See GPS on ANY radio:    http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/mic-e.html

---