Re: APRS is a stupid mode. was Re: Packet on AO-27

"Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" wrote:

> >Try to think beyond the scope of your community, and picture a traveler
> >on an extended car trip.  They have their mobile rig modified to work
> >the pacsats, and regularly beacon their position back home for their
> >friends and loved ones to intercept.  Every hour or so, they pick up
> >their palmtop computer and type in a one line message, like: "We'll be
> >in Des Moines tonight, Happy Birthday Beth!"

You responded:
> If Beth isn't a ham, one-way transmittions are still illegal, and you can't
> be sure she even received the message or if she is even at home.  Best to
> call on a repeater, HF, or use a cell-phone.

Licensed hams, transmitting APRS position reports on 144.390 are gated
to the Internet in many parts of the country.  Any user of the Internet
can Telnet to 199.227.86.221 and see all the gated packets.  Unproto
packets are not considered one way transmissions.

While trying to analyze your first sentence above, I am left wondering:
If Beth IS a ham, are one way transmissions legal?  On which mode/band?

Sid is on a cross country trip from Maryland to Alaska.  Beth is a ham,
but doesn't have HF privileges.  Neither owns a cell phone.  Sid was out
of repeater range within 2 hours.

Beth and the rest of her family keep a Java console loaded on their home
computers from http://www.aprs.com to view Sid's current position.  Beth
sends messages back to Sid through the IGate.  He has managed to receive
a couple per day since the start of his trip.

You are correct that there is no way he can be sure the messages reach
their destination.  His position is updated on the Java console
however.

Once he gets to Alaska, he can shed his transmittons and wear gloves
instead.  This will improve his throughput.  :-)

I'm curious, which satellites do you work?  I couldn't find you in my
log.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

--
                                       __\/__