Re: Soundcard programming

At 10:08 PM 9/6/99 -0500, chgooden@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>I have a few applications that I would like to develope software for
>using the Creative Kabs sound cards and I was wondering if
>anyone had a C++ class for the cound card, or could send me
>some example code to get raw data from the A/D converter.
>
>I would be happy to discuss these applications, which are APRS
>related off of the sig for the time being.

Please remember that the sound card interface is operating system
dependent, and some of us use other OSs.

On the OS I use (Linux) sound card access is dead simple. To make
the initial connection open /dev/dsp for reading, writing, or both.
Use ioctl() to configure the card. Read samples, or make noises.

A good approach is to ask the driver what block size it likes
and then group the samples accordingly, but good old-fashioned
stream I/O works fine.

Laura Halliday VA3LDH   "Que les nuages soient notre pied
Grid: FN03gs                a terre..." - Hospital/Shafte