Re: APRS is a stupid mode. was Re: Packet on AO-27

Greetings,

On the OFF chance your post is NOT just FLAME BAIT, I will proffer a
response, ONLY because you quoted a post from me in your diatribe.

"Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL" wrote:
> APRS is a stupid, useless mode. If I want to know where someone is or where
> they're going they can get on the repeater or simplex and tell me. When I
> want someone to know where I am, I can do the same.
That works great if you are within range of the same repeater, or within
simplex range.  What happens when a operator is many miles from home and
wants to report a position and a one line message back home?

Try to think beyond the scope of your community, and picture a traveler
on an extended car trip.  They have their mobile rig modified to work
the pacsats, and regularly beacon their position back home for their
friends and loved ones to intercept.  Every hour or so, they pick up
their palmtop computer and type in a one line message, like: "We'll be
in Des Moines tonight, Happy Birthday Beth!"

> You APRS lovers should start another mailing-list so the rest of us don't
> have to read about your stupid mode.
Hmm..  Well, since MIR is silent, and there is a flurry of activity
related to APRS on the pacsats, and this is a satellite bulletin board,
your post makes YOU look, well, never mind.

If you truly are disturbed by these posts, use the delete key, a kill
list, or a filter in your mail application.  They probably will
continue, as we are on the cusp of a new (old) use for the aging
pacsats.

> The only good use for APRS is as an emergency beacon on capsized boats or
> downed aircraft, situations were the occupants might not be able to respond.
Open your mind.  There are myriad applications beyond the narrow scope
you view, and state here.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL
                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )