Re: APRS TRAKNET Constellation

"Tim Cunningham" writes:

> I propose that we investigate if the PACSAT's can be programmed
> to recognize a generic identifier to digipeat APRS packets

Don't bet on it. After so many years in orbit, one of the controllers
told me these birds are "brittle". They haven't got LO-19 back from its
crash (must be well over a year ago) and the best thing to say about
reprogramming AO-16 is "if it ain't broke, don't mend it".

Folks with hopes of IO-26 should take a deep breath - it was always much
weaker than 16 or 19 (permanent on-board power problem); I found it hard
even with the beams and pre-amps. A *good* groundstation (e.g. at least
15-ele XY and a good pre-amp) will be needed to receive; but I guess the
mobiles will still be able to go thru it ... they just won't be able to
hear it happening.

Sad to see the flames about APRS - I don't have a lot of time for it but
if it keeps some people out of mischief - what the heck.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188