Re: APRS is a stupid mode. was Re: Packet on AO-27

HI Vince,

Thanks for the flames!

For your information there are at least 2 lists concerning APRS and
probably several I don't know about. I belong to both of them. Maybe you
should join an APRS list and find out what APRS is all about!

A stupid mode. I don't think so. Have you ever used APRS? Yes you are
right, "The only good use for APRS is as an emergency beacon on capsized
boats or downed aircraft, situations were the occupants might not be able
to respond." Almost!

Have you ever had the pleasure of  locating a balloon experiment package
with out the use of an APRS
telemetry package. I have and believe me, it is not fun! I don't know about
you, but I would become awful upset is I lost several thousand dollars of
equipment! APRS is great for adding balloon experiment chase teams in
recovering the packages!

Have you ever worked a bike  event or charity event? APRS is a very, very
good way to keep track of all of your units helping with the race! What if
it is a long race and you have an injured participant? APRS to the rescue!
Have the emergency teams and the radio operator in the medical car come to
the APRS beacon.

These are just 2 examples of what APRS is all about. Maybe next time you
should get your facts straight before you flame someone. OK?

 Oh yea, almost forgot! Do you have a delete key on your computer? Perhaps
you should learn how to use it!