Re: Saying "hi" on AO27 gets my goat!

"Michael P. Olbrisch" wrote:
> Yep... I did.  Should have about 3KW ERP up and running
> in the next few weeks.  That should be just a little better
> than marginal.  Seems a shame though, that anybody
> interested in trying an FM satellite needs to drop a K-buck
> or more to get above that "marginal" station.  No more
> whining here!

Again, you missed the point.  Good amateur practice states an operator
uses the lowest power needed to complete the QSO. If you're using a
JPole, rubber ducky, or some other marginal antenna, the power required
will be greater.

On a Saturday afternoon, during a mid continent pass of AO27, the
reliable link would include a gain antenna coupled to an HT.  There are
any number of reliably communicating operators using HTs and hand held
Yagis, who are heard regularly on the birds.  N2YQP, N3ZLL, KI0AG, and
KK5DO, are just a few who readily come to mind.

Why are they successful?

Practice, gain antennas, knowing how to time their transmissions, and
persistence.  The gain antenna, pointed at the bird, twirled to
determine the optimum orientation is probably the key ingredient.  Truth
be known, sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't.  But, you never
hear them whine, and NONE of them have a "kilo buck" tied up in their
portable station.

By the way, listen for me on the mid continent pass today.  I will be HT
portable on Sanibel Island, in a rare grid: EL86.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)