Re: Packet on AO-27

Peter,

Steady yourself Peter.  Some explanation is in order!

nh6vb@juno.com wrote:

> Whoooooooo,
> Let us re group on that one. Sure it would be fun and much more
> efficient. Now let us consider what AO-27's purpose is. It is an entry
> satellite for folks who are getting started and only have FM HT's. Sure
> it is misused and sure there is chaos at time. But remember that most of
> the digies up there are under used. So lets not take the only toy away a
> few "satellite operators" have. If you are already a proud owner of a TNC
> lets explore the other possibilities without causing an uproar. 73 de
> Peter, NH6VB. AMSAT area coordinator, Hawaii. ALOHA.

Check out http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/Fmic-e.html for an explanation
of the MIC-E device.  You'd have to hear the signal to believe it, but
it really is an innocuous device.  I firmly believe there is a genuine
need for such a device on AO27 at this time, since MIR is defunct.  I
find it far less objectionable than a roger beep some operators use.
The data burst is very fast and efficient.

Several operators are currently engaged in experiments with AO-16, and
APRS, but use of AO27 with the MIC-E encoder should also be embraced.

Until we can get some more digipeating devices in orbit, this is a good
scheme for use of AO-27, in conjunction with regular voice use.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

                                     __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)