Need Help w/ Yaesu FT-736 70cm Receive

I recently purchased a used FT-736 and I think the SSB receive may have a
problem.  Using a 7 element beam with a mast mounted preamp, I receive
AO-27 on FM with signal strength of up to 20 over 9 (noise floor around S
1) yet when I try FO-20 and 29 the best signal I have seen is about S-2 and
only for a few moments.  Receive audio is good however.  Is this typical
performance for this rig (others have told me that 70 cm receive is not too
sensitive) or is there something I can do such as replace detector diodes?
I am looking for a reasonably priced solution, not a rebuild with SSB
Electronics Mutec (?) boards. I do not have the service manual.   Any
advice is most appreciated.

AJ

KT4KM