Re: Portable AZ-EL Rotator?

At 08:26 PM 8/17/99 +0000, Roy Welch wrote:
>Is your friend's rotor an AZ/EL or the traditional polar mount rotator?  To
>use most of the AMSAT tracking programs you will need an AZ/EL rotator
>arrangement.

That's not clear. Since none of the AMSAT tracking programs know how to talk the communications protocol used by any telescope mounts, you'd need an adapter (program or gizmo) anyway. It would be easy enough for the adapter to convert coordinates.

I'd be more concerned that any telescope drive is intended mainly for extremely slow motion, with a perfectly balanced, rigid load. I suspect you'd destroy the mechanism in short order, trying to turn even a modest antenna with feedline.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org