Re: N Connectors

JC,

I switched to the 2 piece solder on connectors, and WON'T look back!

JC_Smith@designlink.com wrote:
> I'm curious about these "solder on" N connectors.  They always struck me as a
> bad idea for a number of reasons.  Are they even constant impedance?  Do they
> have the waterproof seals that "real" N connectors have (both front and back)?
> How do you keep from destroying the fragile dielectric in low loss coax with
> the heat from soldering (and thereby loosing your constant impedance if you had
> it to begin with)?
Yes they are constant impedance, silver plated, teflon dielectric, and
go on in about 2 minutes versus the 1/2 hour I usually labor over a
measure/cut/comb/trim/tighten/position/hold/solder routine with the
AMPHENOL type N connector.  Since the center pin is integral to the
second piece, the alignment is perfect.

How to protect the fragile dielectric?  The connectors have only 2 holes
for mating to the braid.  Make sure the braid is properly tinned first.
The holes are far enough away from the point you peel back the outer
insulation, that proper soldering techniques, and rigidity of the first
part of the 2 piece connector keep the center connector from "sagging"
towards the shield.

I've developed a technique with these connectors which serves me well.
Instead of using a soldering iron, and holding it against the connector
body to build up sufficient heat, I use one of those mini torches that
uses a square body disposable butane lighter.

The torch delivers a very concentrated blue tipped flame.  Using water
based flux, I prep the braid and inside of the connector.  I then insert
the prepped coax into the main body of the connector.  I run the tip of
the flame around the inside of the first shield hole until thin solder
flows and is sucked uniformly into the hole and against the braid.

It only takes a few seconds to bring the mating surfaces to the right
temperature.  I repeat the procedure with the other mating hole, and
finally the single hole for the center connector.

I have never had a shorted connector, and find them to be constant
impedance.

> I'm not considering switching.  After a little practice I now find mil-spec N
> connectors easier to install than PL-259s, but I see people talking about these
> things (solder on Ns) like they were the best thing since sliced bread so maybe
> I'm missing something??

Looks like no info will change your mind, but I never found AMPHENOL N
connectors as easy to install as PL-259s, and the new 2 piece N
connectors are as easy as PL-259s to install.

If the AMPHENOL connectors work well for you, and you have a ready
supply, I wouldn't switch either.  However, for a "two left handed" ham,
such as myself, who only installs 10 or so N connectors per year, I
think the new connectors are an evolutionary step forward.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL
                                       __\/__
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                    \_)