Re: RS-12/13 Telemetry

Hi Doug,

Here is what we've got on the Southeast Michigan AMSAT Web Site:

http://oeonline.com/~kf8bex/amsat/index.html

Our RS-12/13 page is:

http:/oeonline.com/~kf8bex/rs-12.html

The following was a message I gleaned from a packet BBS (remember those things?)
in 1991. The information should still be good, though.

73,
Mike, N8MR

TABLE 1. RS-12/13 TELEMETRY DATA CONVERSION
Here's a data sheet for your RS-12 & 13 Telemetry calculations
and mode findings, with acknowledgments to source Andy
Mirinov RK3KPK of RS3A, theRS Satellite Command Station.
THE TELEMETRY FROM RS-12 AND 13 IS SENT DOWN AS MORSE CODE CW
AT CA. 25 WPM. IT REPRESENT VARIOUS STATUS INDICATORS AND
MEASUREMENTS MADE ON THE TRANSPONDER. THERE ARE 16 CHANNELS
SENT. EACH CHANNEL SENT CONSISTS OF 3 ALPHA CHARACTERS FOLLOWED
BY 2 NUMERIC CHARACTERS, FOR EXAMPLE: 'IMS 45'.THE 'IMS' PART IS THE
ALPHA, '45' THE NUMERIC PART OF ONE CHANNEL. THE ALPHA PART GIVES
A SPECIFIC STATUS SUCH AS ON OR OFF FOR A SPECIFIC FEATURE. IN THE
EXAMPLE 'IMS 45', THE IMS PART GIVES THE SPECIFIC STATUS OF CHANNEL
4: THE 21 MHZ RECEIVER IS OFF. IF, HOWEVER, 'IMS' IS REPLACED BY 'IMU' IN
CHANNEL 4, AS IN 'IMU 45', THEN THE 21 MHZ RECEIVER IS ACTIVATED (ON).
THE NUMERIC PART OF CHANNEL 4, '45' IN OUR EXAMPLE, GIVES THE AGC
LEVEL OF THE 15 METER RECEIVER, WHERE THE VALUE IN VOLTS EQUALS
THE NUMBER SENT DIVIDED BY 5. ( N/5 = V, 45/5 = 9 VOLTS ).
CHANNEL  ALPHA-GROUP       MEANING/CONVERSION FORMULA
-------  -----------       --------------------------
  1     IIS IID IIR IIG    TELEMETRY SAMPLING PERIOD: 90 MIN.
        IIU IIK IIW IIO    TELEMETRY SAMPLING PERIOD: 10 MIN.
                             N/4= V IN VOLTS OF POWER SUPPLY
  2     INS IND INR ING    2 MTR RX: 20 DB ATTENUATOR ON
        INU INK INW INO    2 MTR RX:  0 DB ATTENUATOR ON
                             N/10= P IN WATTS,POWER OUTPUT 2m TX
  3     IAS IAD IAR IAG    15 MTR RX: 10 DB ATTENUATOR ON
        IAU IAK IAW IAO    15 MTR RX:  0 DB ATTENUATOR ON
                             N/10= P IN WATTS, POWER OUTPUT 10m TX
  4     IMS IMD IMR IMG    15 MTR UPLINK: OFF
        IMU IMK IMW IMO    15 MTR UPLINK: ON
                             N/5= V IN VOLTS, 15 m RX-AGC Volts
  5     NIS NID NIR NIG    2 MTR RX: OFF
        NIU NIK NIW NIO    2 MTR RX: ON
                             N/5= V IN VOLTS, 2m RX-AGC VOLTAGE
  6     NNS NND NNR NNG    SPECIAL COMMAND STATION CHANNEL: OFF
        NNU NNK NNW NNO    SPECIAL COMMAND STATION CHANNEL: ON
                             N/5= V IN VOLTS, SPECIAL COMMAND AGC V
  7     NAS NAD NAR NAG    OUTPUT POWER 10m BEACON NO.1: MAX
        NAU NAK NAW NAO    OUTPUT POWER 10m BEACON NO.1: MIN
                             N/3= (SERVICE COMMAND PARAMETER)
  8     NMS NMD NMR NMG    OUTPUT POWER 10m BEACON NO.2: MAX
        NMU NMK NMW NMO    OUTPUT POWER 10m BEACON MO.2: MIN
                             N/3= (SERVICE COMMAND PARAMETER)
  9     AIS AID AIR AIG    STATUS OF FIRST MEMORY BOARD: OFF
        AIU AIK AIW AIO    STATUS OF FIRST MEMORY BOARD: ON
                             N-10= T IN DEGREES C, 10 MTR TX
  10    ANS AND ANR ANG    STATUS OF SECOND MEMORY BOARD: OFF
        ANU ANK ANW ANO    STATUS OF SECOND MEMORY BOARD: ON
                             N-10= T IN DEGREES C, 2 MTR TX
  11    AAS AAD AAR AAG    THERE IS INFORMATION IN MEMORY NO.1
        AAU AAK AAW AAO    ..... NO INFORMATION IN MEMORY NO.1

                             N-10= T IN DEGREES C,20V POWER SUPPLY
  12    AMS AMD AMR AMG    THERE IS INFORMATION IN MEMORY NO. 2
        AMU AMK AMW AMO    ..... NO INFORMATION IN MEMORY NO. 2
                             N-10= T IN DEGREES C, 9V POWER SUPPLY
  13    MIS MID MIR MIG    MEMORY DATA SEND VIA BEACON 2
        MIU MIK MIW MIO    MEMORY DATA SEND VIA BEACON 1
                             N/5= V IN VOLTS, 9V PWR SUPPLY CONTROL
  14    MNS MND MNR MNG    15 MTR ROBOT RX ATTENUATOR : - 10 DB
        MNU MNK MNW MNO    15 MTR ROBOT RX ATTENUATOR :    0 DB
                             N/5= V IN VOLTS,15m ROBOT RX AGC VOLTAGE
  15    MAS MAD MAR MAG    2 MTR ROBOT RX ATTENUATOR : - 10 DB
        MAU MAK MAW MAO    2 MTR ROBOT RX ATTENUATOR :    0 DB
                             N/5= V IN VOLTS, 2m ROBOT RX AGC VOLTAGE
  16    MMS MMD MMR MMG    OUTPUT PWR SPECIAL CMD CHANNEL : MAX
        MMU MMK MMW MMO    OUTPUT PWR SPECIAL CMD CHANNEL : MIN
                             N=00: LESS THAN 32 QSO'S IN ROBOT LOG
                             N=80 TO 99: OVER 32 QSO'S IN ROBOT LOG

           73, Pat, G3IOR @ GB7LDI

At 08:28 PM 8/11/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi all-
>
>I'm helping a friend w/ a school project and I need to know the telemetry
>legends for  RS-13.
>
>I've searched the web in numerous places with no joy at present.
>
>Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks and 73,
>Doug
>AB8CJ

Mike