Re: 9600 baud challenge (was: Re: tnc-modem Query)

Laura has made a very good point here.  We have been attempting to do just
this in our local group.  We first attempted to understand the MFJ 9600
kit that was sold in the past as a "plug in" to the TNC2 (MFJ1270B/74) to
convert that unit to 9600 baud.  I have pleaded for installation/operating
instructions for that retrofit including just which TNC2 kits can be used.
     Secondly, we should ask G3RUH specifically what he might recommend.
Many have his old boards which might well be the easiest approach after a
modification to eliminate the single source Plessey or Ferranti chip.
This was the ZN429E-8.  It may well be that James, G3RUH has made changes
specific to satellite use after many years of download experience.
     All these suggestions are hardware approaches.  Others have indicated
that the sound card does not run fast enough to result in simplification
at 9600 baud, but can some portion be used to minimize the hardware?
Transmitting is NOT a problem as a hardware solution is simple. Cliff K7RR