Re: A Bit Off Topic: Movie "Enemy of the State"

You can get wav files of various sounds on "Sound Effects" CD's that for all
practical purposes are just as high-quality as what are used in
sound-effects labs in Hollywood.  These wav files are named "high tech
sound", "wildlife" sound, etc, and the sound effects editors inject these
less-than-a-second sounds at certain points in movies to set the stage and
add to the imagery.  The CD I got at a hamfest has a CQ sound, a baudot RTTY
sound, and about a thousand others.  Its very easy for a non-ham sound
editor to pick sounds that go along with the verbal description without
having any idea what the sound actually is.  The baudot rtty sound (170 hz
shift) is used quite often in high tech scenes, even though baudot isn't all
that high tech any more.

There is a "wildlife" sound that is the cry of a bald eagle that is used all
the time in TV shows and movies when there is a "majestic outdoor scene",
even though there's probably not a bald eagle for a radius of a thousand
miles from the location of the scene.

Get one of those CD's--they are fun to play with.

Regards, John, W9NET