2500 MHz etc

Clifford Buttschardt wrote to me:

> In the last few days you reported that there seemed to be quite a bit of
> activity in the UK with Drake 2500 MHz converters.  I am sure the basics
> have already been covered but there must have been some rather major
> improvements in the last six months since the original QST article.
> Possibly you could review these on the newsgroups for all of us. There
> certainly has been a push for 1269 uplink and 2400 downlink equipment,
> which in my view, is the only way to go.  Cliff K7RR

Ok Cliff, and gang, heres what I've got. I researched web pages so I had
modification instructions and any other info to put in with the Drake 2880's
I'm selling (more about the sale below).

http://www.g3pho.free-online.co.uk   led me to most things that I include
with them. Specifically this comprises a) the modification instructions;
b) a write-up on how to get lower noise and higher gain (by G0MRF); c) a
modification to the RF amplifier. Just follow links from G3PHO's site. I
also include info about a power splitter (they aren't included with the
UK units); this is basically derived from the Satellite Experimenters
Handbook (section about mounting preamps at the antenna). The extra
modifications make this one *hot* little unit.

Coincidentally I have been going thru back mails (a clearout) and spotted
the following posts which may be a useful reminder for folks doing S-band
stuff:

> From: gregwycoff@havilandtelco.com (gregwycoff)
> Subject: test aids
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 17:03:07 -0600
>
> getting ready for p3d? check out W0OQC's test aids for 2400 mhz...
> antenna design for helix, signal source for 2400 mhz circuit protection for
> the downconverter.
>
> http://www.havilandtelco.com/homepages/gregwycoff

and

> Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:31:08 -0700
> From: "Joe H. Steinmetz" <joes@core.rose.hp.com>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Sband dish, feed, and electronics (rx and tx).
>
> For those of you preparing S-band capability for the future Phase 3D
> satellite, I have added to my web site information about my S-band
> solution.
> This includes helical feed design data and images of the dish, the feed,
> and all electronics (transmit and receive).
>
> http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/8389/sband.html

Hope that is useful. Other folks with newer info to share will probably
post to the -bb in response to this.

Regarding the Drake 2880's I have for sale, I had more posts from outside
UK/EI than I did from inside. There now are 12 units left. I am going on
holiday pretty soon so I don't want to get involved in an international
market before I go ... but I'll post when I get back (end-August).

The deal will be for a 2880 (no power splitter or blister) with the
*right* crystal for P3D frequency translation bringing 2400.0 MHz out at
144.0 MHz. Also includes the papers mentioned above; cost of post/packing
included. Price will be UK pounds 50 (only one unit per person) and I will
want payment either in UK funds or US dollar bills (about $80); I want the
profits to go into the Amsat-UK P3D fund, not into bank charges for money
conversion. Use the intervening time in finding out how you can get a
cheque for 50 UK pounds.

I realise some folks *really* want these but PLEASE DO NOT mail me about
it now, wait until I advertise. *No-one* will jump the queue on these.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188