Re: Oscar 10 help ?

In a message dated 8/3/99 11:26:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
darren.rainer@eyretel.com writes:

> I have listened for OSCAR 10 when it has been in high orbit
> and been well within its footprint but no signal which I have put down to
> the satellite not beaming in my direction.
> The question I have is how can
>  I find out when OSCAR 10 has its antenna pointing in my direction ?

Hi Darren,

I believe a couple of factors are at work here. Oscar 10 seems to be tumbling
and its spin rate seems to have decreased. Also remember that AO-10 only
functions when it has adequate sunlight hitting its solar panels. Its
batteries stopped working quite a while ago.  Add all this up and you get the
conditions you are experiencing.

So, is AO-10 workable?? Yes! The best way to work it is to monitor the beacon
(an unmodulated carrier) at ~145.810 +/- doppler with the second vfo in your
radio. I switch my 736R B VFO to the beacon and monitor it. When I hear the
beacon starting to come up, I switch to the A VFO, which I have tuned near
the center of the transponder and throw out my callsign. The fades right now
seem to about 20-30 seconds long, with 15-20 second periods of use. I'm using
switchable CP antennas on both the uplink and downlink which help compensate
for the varying conditions. Last weekend, I worked a number of DX stations in
Europe. You have to be quick when it is working, and patient during the fades.

I'm not sure whether the fades are being caused by the bird tumbling and
thereby pointing its antenna away from me (this would assume it was on its
directional antenna instead of the omnis) or loss of illumination of the
solar panels which will shut the bird down. Maybe a combination of both?? I
did hear some distinct frequency changes, almost as if I had accidentally hit
my tuning knob. You may experience this as well. Sometimes people will refer
to this phenomenon as FM'ing. I don't think there is any real harm in the
type of shift we're hearing right now, however, if you hear the bird
constantly changing frequency as you uplink, refrain from using it as there
are several scenarios that could prove to be harmful.

Good Luck,

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649