Re: Oscar 10 help ?

Someone on the reflector correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't AO-10 tumble.
The tumbling accounts for the deep fades experienced.  Darren, I can
occasionally hear AO-10 when it is below 12km and greater than about 5
degrees - I don't get many chances to work it.  My equipment is an IC-821H
with 38 element CP uplink antenna and a 20 element CP downlink antenna.  I
don't use any preamps or amps on AO-10.  You don't state whether or not your
antennas are CP or not, so I'll assume that they aren't.  If that's the
case, you can lose up to 30dB in either direction.  With a signal from AO-10
in the noise floor (>60dBm) at apogee, you'd be -90dB.  However, on the
passes that I have heard AO-10, I receive at about an S5.

My setup is designed around the LEO's - you saw the former, now add a Mirage
70cm preamp and 9913F to the setup and that's my station in its entirety.
Granted, for some the preamp may be overkill, but I have a plethora of
long-needle pines on my property that really absorb RF and I got the preamp
for that.

Try AO-10 when it is below 12km (works for me) or less.

73 es GL,
Joel
OM:  Joel B. Black, KS4AW     XYL:  Kristie H. Black, KF4CHN
Eutaw, AL...............EM62bv     kahblack@mindspring.com
AMSAT member #32589
jbblack@mindspring.com
ks4aw@amsat.org