Re: "Miles Mann" <Miles_Mann@pictel.com>: [sarex] MirStatus Aug 2, 1999, Equipment shutdown

There is a further error in the following story:
It ain't true.
Energia has been doing everything it can, to the point of almost passing
the hat on a Moscow street corner, to raise the $$$ to keep Mir open for
business. So far, their luck has been on a par with Custer's; which is to
say that if it wasn't bad, it wouldn't exist at all. They tried selling
shares in the station, and got something like $8K. They've tried getting
Western companies or individuals with deep pockets to cough up the dough.
No go.
The current plan is that there is going (maybe) to be one more crew to
fly to Mir. That crew will be launched if Mir becomes unstable in
orbit and can't dock with a final Progress vehicle. The crew would
be charged with getting the station stable enough to allow the Progress
to dock, monitor the deorbit burn, then get out while the getting is
good.
So, sorry, this one seems to fall under the urban legends cat.

Later,
Andy
WD9IYT