Re: Let's get on the air!

Michael and Andrea,

Michael & Andrea Hiltner wrote:
> 1) Yaesu FT736r 6m, 2m 70cm (yes of course it's the 2m & 70cm were concerned
> with here).
Good radio.  You will have good success with that radio and the right
antennas, preamps, and feed line.

> 2) Antenna Dual Band J-Pole (Mainly from the Cactus J-Pole).  I still have 2
> solder jobs to do prior to it's finish tomorrow.
A JPole is a very poor satellite antenna for most of the LEOs.  You
might have some success using the JPole as an uplink antenna for mode A
on RS-13, but use on any of the other birds will only leave you
frustrated.  Check out K5OE, Jerry's site for some easy antennas that
will work much better.  Save the JPole for the local repeater.  You can
peruse Jerry's site at:
	http://members.aol.com/k5oe/

> 3) NO PREAMP.
In my experience, a preamp, at the mast, makes a world of difference on
the mode J birds.

> 4) Sat Track Prog = WinTrack Pro 5.03
That will work.  You might want to check out some of the other software
on the AMSAT site.

> Q 1) Has ANYONE ever used such a configuration to work the easy birds?
Some have tried with the JPoles, but don't make it.  It really is a poor
satellite antenna.  You'll end up cursing the successful operators! :-)

> Q 3) I would like, if possible, to work SO-35 SunSat as a launch pad.  I know
> that the operation is limited, but my receiver (SWL Radio) can only receive up
> to 29,999KHz (Anyone know of any hacks for an Emerson ATS-803a to up its hi end
> freq receive?).  Of course, beggars will not be chooses, and I shall take ALL
> advice as to which sat to work first!
Your 736 will be the rig of choice for mode B and mode J birds.  The
ATS-803 will work OK for a mode A downlink rig, provided you feed it
enough signal from a fairly decent antenna.

Try listening to several of the birds first, before you transmit.  This
will give you some idea of the culture which exists on each.  A good
plan for any bird is to have a better receive capability than transmit.
Herein lies the secret of a considerate, successful operator.

Remember, most satellite work is weak signal.  Plan accordingly.

> Q 4) I'm searching for my Up/Down link freq's for all of the Amateur Radio Sats
> (Voice only).  Do you know where I can get this information?
Check out the latest AMSAT News Bulletin on the AMSAT web site:
	http://amsat.org

Let me know if I can be of any help.

73, Mike in Fort Myers, FL

                                       __\/__