Re: Let's get on the air!

Bob,
Don't let the whiners influence or depress you!  Try it for yourself, see
what YOU
think about it.

Most of the people who are real "regulars" on AO-27 do not "hog" the
thing, they
make real short contacts and there's plenty of room for others. The
typical QSO
probably averages a few seconds on AO-27.  (Unless the bird is totally
devoid of
stations, then you may hear a few minute contact between stations)

There are some VERY loud Spanish speaking stations on the bird who are
not
hams, don't care or know about satellites, they just talk on 145.850
endlessly.
Sometimes you have to increase power to be able to get "over" their QRM.
Also there are sometimes "dead" carriers on there that you also have to
be able
to cover up if you want to be heard.

I hear some poor operating on the bird from time to time, but it's not
always the
"regulars" who are doing it.  There are other factors to consider,
sometimes
people will call for a QSO then the downlink fades out on them and they
don't
hear anybody come back, etc.  That happens on ALL satellites, in fact I
can't
think of any band or mode where I've heard someone calling CQ, I answered
them
and they couldn't hear me and kept on CQ'ing or came back to somebody
else that
I couldn't hear.  That's just the way radio is sometimes.

Try it, you'll like it!

73,
John, K6YK