RE: Let's get on the air!

You know this is really depressing...  I've been following this thread and
have listened to AO-27 a few times, In fact was so excited about hearing it
that I can't hardly wait to get the FT847 I've been lusting after....  You
can tell from my call that I'm relatively new to Amatuer radio but not to
radio and satellite work... 18 plus years of experience to include some
military satellite usage as a Radio Officer.  My wife was with me when I
first heard the Bird and now is going after her license but she thankfully
has not been following this thread....  ( Oh I want to thank an elmer
(sorry I don't have his call here at my finger tips) for guiding me through
using the Arrow to hear AO-27).

I guess what this says about hams is that if resource is available and you
have the power you have the "ownership"  If the regulars who are hitting
AO-27 with that much power would acknowledge the true spirit of Ham Radio
and become elmers, or work challenge themselves to work the "harder" birds
(They obviously have the money, antennas, time, and radios/amps) and see
how they are being looked at by "newcomers"  maybe our roles would increase
rather than get discouraged.

I think many of us "newcomers would like to just get a short
acknowledgement, and think how much encouragement the big guns could be by
just saying hello to as many of the calls as they can- instead of
monopolizing the bird. Many of us would be encouraged instead of
discouraged, we would tell our friends about how much fun ham radio is and
we would grow as a group...  We get alot more with some honey than we do
with vinegar.

Has anyone addressed the Rules of use the least power necessary to make
contact?????

Bob
KG4CGP

At 12:25 PM 8/2/99 +0000, Michael P. Olbrisch wrote:
>Boy, you got a task ahead of you.  I am running an IC-820, about 50
>watts out, into a Tri-band copper cactus.  I also have the SSB
>electronics pre-amps.  My experience with AO-27 and SO-35 is that
>this set-up will work, but unless you are one of the regular "good-ole-
>boys", it isn't going to be enough to keep them from covering you up.
>I am going to some big beams and an amp just as soon as this next
>3 weeks of overtime are finished.  (160 watt 432 amps are expensive!)
>Give it a try, you might hear your voice in between the jabber-jaws
>once or twice per pass.  Good luck.
>

>Vy73,  Mike.   KD9KC    MARS: AAV6EV
>kd9kc@elp.rr.com  -  kd9kc@amsat.org

Lots Deleted...