Re: Recent launch failures

At 12:50 01/08/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>This is not only happening in the aerospace industry, it is also
>happening in government and many other places.  In many
>agencies in the government they offer these elaborate
>inducements to get the higher paid, skilled, knowledgeable,
>etc. to go to early out, etc.  The ones that leave are the ones
>that can find better paying, more interesting jobs, and now
>do so with a cushion under them.    A lot of this was done
>at the demands of congress to downsize and streamline
>and to turn things over to industry that used to be done
>by government employees.  NASA, DOD, DOE, and
>many of the other agencies/departments with largely
>technical missions have undergone an AMAZING brain drain
>n the last decade.  It is not good.
>
>Bob

FWIW, This is happening/has been for years, in Australia too! I worked as a
contractor for Department of Defence for 15 years or so and watched all the
"good hands" bleed away or quit from frustration...I belong in the latter.
I heard the other day that one of the facilities we maintained has been
mothballed 'cause they can't find anyone to keep it running!!!!

>At 01:00 AM 8/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>I received this from a mailing list dedicated to amateur built rockets.
>>Since we launch our satellites on rockets which have shown a tendency to
>>blow up of late, this may be of interest to AMSAT-BB readers.
>>

>>      Subject: recent launch failures
>>         Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 08:15:16 -0700
>>         From: Stewart Cobb <stu@IntegriNautics.COM>
>>           To: erps-list@LunaCity.com
>>

>>Aviation Week's web site has several articles by longtime editor
>>William B. Scott about the "crisis in aerospace".  Well worth
>>reading.  The gist is that aerospace systems are too complicated
>>to build and run without smart, talented, creative, motivated
>>engineers.  In the past, such people were drawn to aerospace for
>>the challenge.  Today they can find challenges elsewhere, and
>>they're leaving the 1950's-style rigid, hierarchichal management
>>policies of the old-line aeropacee companies for aerospace
>>startups (ERPS) or non-aerospace (internet) careers.
>>

>>"Multiple failed space launches during the last year
>>have triggered several technical and safety investigations
>>into "processes" that affect quality, but the real,
>>more-subtle causes may be found in how the aerospace
>>industry handles its people, according to experts
>>who have studied problematic programs."
>>

>>"Experience can mean the difference between a program's success
>>and failure....  Managers and human resources departments should
>>resist a "plug-and-play" philosophy that assumes like-credentials
>>translate to equal abilities.  Aerospace has unintentionally rid
>>itself of critical software engineers and programmers, for example,
>>"and I don't think the companies even know they're gone,"
>>said Michael C. Davis....  "They've [often] eliminated the really
>>smart guy who's holding everything together, simply because he's
>>making 20% more than the guy next to him. But they may have
>>eliminated 40% of their overall software knowledge for a 20%
>>savings," Davis said.  "That's been going on for 10 years.
>>That's why rockets blow up."
>>

>>http://www.aviationweek.com/aviation/aw63-66.htm
>>----
>
>----

Norm, VK2XCI.
Mount Hope NSW. Voice of the Edge of The Outback