Re: FM satellites (was: Re: SUNSAT OVER EUROPE)

> >can often be found at hamfests for dirt cheap.  HR2510's and HTX100's
>  >for 10 meters are plentiful and reasonable.  There are many synthesized

Just a couple comments on the 10 meter rigs.... I've had both.  The Uniden
(all varieties are pretty similar) has a lousy receiver section, especially
when compared to the HTX-100.  If you are using a transverter, that might not
make that much difference at 2 m or 70 cm, but for mode A downlink, I don't
recommend it, especially for the daytime passes.  See the QST side-by-side
review in the members-only section.

The Uniden, however, has one big advantage:  it will transmit on LSB out of
the box for mode J uplink.  If you want one rig for use with a 2 m
transverter (such as the TenTec 1210), then the  Uniden or a converted CB may
a better choice.

My first couple of hundred mode J contacts were made using a Hamtronics 70 cm
downconverter kit into an HTX-100 (which I already had) and TenTec 1210 kit
transverter for 2 meters fed from my FT-890.  For mode A, I would connect the
TenTec to the HTX-100 and use the better receiver on the FT-890.  Total
investment was under $200 to get both mode A and mode J capability.

I had a SSB CB converted in the early 80's by the CB-to-10 outfit in Arizona.
 I still see their small ad in the back of QST occasionally.  That mobile rig
is still working on 10 meters and the guy I sold it to won't sell it back to
me.

73,
Jerry