Re: FM satellites (was: Re: SUNSAT OVER EUROPE)

I've been looking at this thread and wondering something.  Someone stated (I
don't remember who) that the inexperienced ham does not know what to look
for in used equipment.  Although this statement is true, that inexperienced
amateur has something else, hopefully - an ELMER.  That inexperienced ham
should invite him/herself on a trip to a large hamfest with his/her ELMER.
Let me give a true-life-example.

I was licensed in April of 1993.  I took my test in December if 1992 and
bought my first radio about the same time - an HTX-202.  I quickly realized
that I needed something more to hit the repeaters 25 - 30 miles away.  So,
at my first opportunity, I went to the Birmingham, AL hamfest with my ELMER.
I was specifically looking for a 2m mobile rig.  After comparing several
models (and realizing they all did about the same thing - advice from my
ELMER) I bought one.  This is one of the things an ELMER is for.  If the
ham's ELMER doesn't know what to look for in used equipment, it is my
opinion that that ELMER should find someone who does.  After all, the ham
that's an ELMER had someone show him/her and has probably got a lot of
experience to draw upon from the local ham community.

73,
Joel
OM:  Joel B. Black, KS4AW     XYL:  Kristie H. Black, KF4CHN
Eutaw, AL...............EM62bv     kahblack@mindspring.com
AMSAT member #32589
jbblack@mindspring.com
ks4aw@amsat.org