Re: THoughts on minimum ERP

In a message dated 7/30/99 9:11:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, K5OE@aol.com
writes:

> > Hmmm, here's a crazy idea...  What about designating an FM day FO-20 or
>  >  FO-29 from time to time on a day that has been typically vacant?
>
>  John,
>  I like that suggestion.

Hi guys,

I'll think you'll find that the transponder can't handle FM. The first thing
that comes to mind is power budget. There can be other issues.

Sadly, there already is "FM" on FO-20/29. Have you ever heard your downlink
suddenly take a dive in signal strength?? One of the causes of this is
someone in the footprint of the bird using 2M FM simplex within the uplink
passband. They don't know they are trashing a satellite. I've listened to
many of these conversations and always try to copy a callsign so that I might
let someone know what they are unintentionally doing.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649
"If you drink, don't drive - If you syphon, don't swallow"